Location. Location. Location.
Rockford is 60 minutes from O’Hare International Airport (ORD) and is served by our own international airport – Chicago Rockford International Airport (RFD). RFD is home to the second-largest UPS air cargo hub in the country.
We are #1 in interstate and railroad connections – 4 interstates run through the region, businesses located here can reach 75% of U.S. businesses within a 24-hour truck drive.
All of this with the proximity to the major market of Chicago, but without all the congestion! Read below to find out about the various transportation opportunities to suit your needs.
Chicago Rockford International Airport (RFD)
- Undergoing a $20 million terminal expansion
- Growing passenger airport with service throughout the U.S., Mexico and the Caribbean
- 24/7 FAA Air-Traffic Control Tower
- Hard-surface runways of 10,000 ft (primary) and 8,200 ft (secondary)
- Cat III/II Instrument Landing System allows landing in zero visibility conditions
- International Arrival Gate
- U.S. Customs Port of Entry
- De-icing fluid retention and processing facility on-site
- 58 nautical miles northwest of Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
- Landing fees significantly less expensive than ORD
- Centralized purchasing of fuel
- Uncongested airspace means no stack time, less fuel burnt
- Approximate 15 minutes from commit to land to cut engines
- No congestion on roads
- Same day onsite Centralized Examination Station (CES) service available, 1-2 days faster than Chicago
- Independent airspace from O’Hare, Midway, Chicago/Gary, Mitchell (Milwaukee)
- Allows for “straight in” approaches
- Accommodates largest aircraft flying: Airbus 380 and Antonov 225
- Severe weather operations – RFD has NEVER closed due to snow!
- Foreign Trade Zone Benefits (FTZ #176)
- 24/7 Customs and federal inspections
- Multiple FBO’s means a full spectrum of aviation related services
- USDA inspections
- 6,600 acres in the Global Trade Park
- 3,000+ acres of airport land for development
- 200+ airside acres
- 2000+ acres for industrial and commercial projects
Passenger Services Airlines
- Allegiant Air (Flights to Fort Myers, Las Vegas, Orlando, Phoenix, and Tampa Bay)
- Apple Vacations (Flights to Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Punta Cana)
- Elite Airways (Denver/Fort Collins)
Rockford is home to one of UPS’s seven domestic air hubs where it owns and operates the 9th largest airline in the world. Employing 1,600 employees, it can process 160,000 packages per hour. Packages tendered as late as 12:30 a.m. can be delivered by 10:30 a.m. that same morning to 41% of the U.S. IP codes. Perhaps you have a 2nd shift that could take advantage of this…
Urgent package delivery is just the tip of UPS’s business solution iceberg. Housed on the property is a UPS Freight facility with access to more than 20,000 one– and two–day lanes. Also available in your backyard is access to UPS’s Air Freight capabilities — as the second-largest U.S. domestic air freight carrier, UPS is equipped to transport anything you require.
Here are some helpful links:
- Track Your Package
- Transit Maps from any zip code (Small Package)
- UPS Freight
- View the Freight Demo
- UPS Supply Chain Solutions
- Customs Brokerage
- UPS Capital
- Loans and Insurance Options
Highways And Interstates
Interstate: I-39, I-88, I-90, I-43
Federal: US 20, US 51/251
State: 2, 26, 38, 64, 70, 72, 75, 76, 173
Motor Freight Services
Number of carriers serving area: 40
Number of local terminals: 37
Rail Carriers serving area: Illinois Railway/OmniTRAX; Canadian National(CN); and Canadian Pacific (CP).
- Frequency of switching service: Continuous
- Intermodal service available? Yes
- Nearest service: 25 Miles
Major highways and an abundance of rail line in the Rockford area create an efficient system for land transportation. Intermodal service is available in Rochelle, 25 miles to our South along I-39, and at over 20 other locations within the Chicago area just 60 miles away.
The area is also home to the I-39 Logistics Corridor Association.