Winnebago County Declaration of Regional Policy
In 2009, the Business & Community Relations Solutions Team initiated a regional compact discussion designed to enhance communication and collaboration between regional economic development partners within the Rockford Area, and subsequently strengthen our region’s competitive edge. The Declaration of Regional Policy was a result of this initiative.
WHEREAS, We, as the leaders in the Rockford Region, defined as Winnebago County, agree that the successes of our region is based on a commitment to regional collaboration.
WHEREAS, Promoting our regional assets allows successful national and global competition for projects.
WHEREAS, Regional collaboration gives us a competitive edge in a global economy.
WHEREAS, The outcome of the efforts will transform our regional to a better place to live, work, learn, invest and play.
NOW, THEREFORE, the undersigned cities and County agree to the following principles as follows:
- Regional Collaboration – We agree to work across local and regional boundaries to promote our assets. We recognize that our regional collaboration will allow us to compete more globally.
- Incentives – We recognize the importance of attracting projects to the region. We agree that incentives are needed to make progress possible for business attraction/expansion and that incentive can balance a project’s cost to be competitive on a national level.
- Stewardship – We agree to conserve and protect our regional assets. We recognize that important relationship between economic development and quality of life.
- Innovation – we agree to continually seek new creative ways to develop and nurture our regional economy, while maintaining and protecting the quality of life. We recognize that innovation gives our region the ability to compete globally.
- Communication – We agree to meet on a regular basis for the purpose of encouraging further collaboration, making good faith efforts toward realization of policy goals, and expansion and strengthening of our relationship.
- Measurement – We will measure our progress by collaborating to grow the Gross Metropolitan Products of the region, which provides benefits to citizens, including quality of life and employment.
- City of Loves Park Mayor – Mayor Darryl F. Lindberg
- City of Rockford – Mayor Thomas P. McNamara
- Villages of Cherry Valley – Village President Jim E. Claeyssen
- Village of Machesney Park – Mayor Steve Johnson
- Village of Rockton – Mayor Dale Adams
- Village of Roscoe – Village President Dave A. Krienke
- Village of Winnebago – Village President Frank Eubank
- Winnebago County – Chairman Frank Haney