Award-winning economic development organization offers a unique opportunity for an economic development trailblazer. Our public/private partnership organization seeks a Vice President to assume a leadership role in Northern Illinois to manage our Business Retention & Expansion programs and selected strategic projects. The Rockford, Illinois region is home to:
- The sixth-largest Aerospace employment concentration in the U.S.
- Growing Advanced Manufacturing and Healthcare
- A well-positioned, uncongested Air/Rail/Truck Logistics
- The third-largest city in Illinois, well within a 90-minute drive from Chicago, Milwaukee and Madison.
Candidates must possess great dedication, commitment, and strategic qualities as well as a broad range of business management skills. The organization’s staff is held to an extremely high level of professionalism and productivity. This person must be able to manage diverse and multi-level projects as a “self-starter,” capable of taking ideas and tasks at different levels and implementing them at a fast pace.
This position requires prior economic development experience as well as basic computer skills and database management experience. Minimum of a bachelor’s degree required. A professional work environment and competitive salary/benefits are available.
Job Description & Requirements
The VP for Development will be responsible for the overall leadership of business expansion and retention efforts within the region, as well as collaborating on selected strategic projects.
KEY STRENGTHS REQUIRED
- Excellent Communications Skills (Written and Verbal)
- Conversational Interview Techniques
- Competent Computer Skills Include Basic Office Software Applications
- Data Analysis Skills to Identify Trends and Continuous Improvement Opportunities
- Time Management and Multi-Tasking Skills
- Ability to Coordinate Multi-Organization Resources
- Work directly on Business Retention and Expansion (BRE) projects as needed
- Cross-training with peers, as well as collaborating on the organization’s business attraction and external marketing efforts, to ensure internal efficiency and effectiveness within a cohesive team environment
- Work closely with economic development partners to develop aligned strategies for new business creation, entrepreneurial expansion, effective marketing, and workforce development and training
- Network with local business and community leadership, building relationships designed to generate better understanding of the organization’s mission, client leads and referrals; and provide for the appropriate stakeholder engagement in successful client projects
- Benchmark best practices from other economic development organizations; staying abreast of national and international economic development trends
- Build external relationships that benefit the organization’s strategic plan
- Represent the RAEDC on various regional Boards and in various community settings and events
- Serve as primary liaison to the manufacturing community
- Manage the professional development of staff through coaching, mentoring and the planned use of formal training opportunities
- Establish annual plan for achieving CORE conversation and retention visit targeted goals and ensure timely entry of visit intelligence
- Serve as staff liaison for applicable committees
- Work with staff to analyze current business data and prepare periodic reports, metrics, and proposed improvement initiatives
- Maintain an effective website and social media presence in support of a high-performing business retention and expansion program
- Manage distribution of appropriate newsletters and other communication vehicles
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Business, Public Administration, or related field(s); with an advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of five years business experience; experience within the manufacturing industry is a plus
- Exceptional oral communications skills, demonstrating confidence when communicating with private and public sector leaders
- Exceptional written communications skills
- Ability to work independently and exercise professionalism in a non-profit environment
- Superior organizational skills and proven ability to manage a variety of projects simultaneously
- High degree of self-motivation and the ability to self-manage time and priorities
- Computer proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications and database software
- A cooperative attitude in a supportive work environment
- High standards of personal conduct and integrity
Send resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.