Letters to the Rockford Region is a monthly publication discussing issues that are important to the area and the residents living in the Rockford Region. They are originally posted in the Rockford Register Star.
Dear Rockford Region,
A myth is circulating that companies are leaving the Rockford Region for a neighboring state. When in actuality, we are seeing an increasing number of organizations moving into the Rockford Region from other states. These organizations take advantage of the Rockford Region’s significant assets:
- Strong industry clusters in Aerospace, Healthcare, Advanced Manufacturing, Logistics/Distribution and Automotive among others.
- $1.5 billion being invested in the area to continue to strengthen our economic base and revitalize the Downtown Area.
- Centrally located for easy access to Chicago, Madison and Milwaukee at lower transportation costs with less congestion.
- Excellent quality of life including a world class Park District and an ever growing variety of community events and attractions.
- Nationally recognized utilities provide reliable, competitive service.
During the past two years we have seen organizations chose the Rockford Region:
- A major food processor moved 150 jobs from a neighboring state to South Beloit.
- A local pharmaceutical equipment manufacturer was heavily recruited but elected to stay in our area.
- A large health care provider relocated their headquarters from a neighboring state to the Rockford Region.
- A large supplier of motorcycle components is moving 30 jobs from north of the border into the area.
Dispel the myths about interstate flight and keep the momentum going!
Until next month,
Michael Nicholas, President
Rockford Area Economic Development Council