Download the latest Northern Stateline Economy & Jobs Report.
Rockford MSA’s employment is 1.7% engineering; 55% higher concentration than the State of Illinois and 31% higher concentration that the United States’ average.
Concentrated Manufacturing Talent Above the National Average
- 7.2 times, Machinery Manufacturing employment and R&D – 700% greater than the US average
- 4.2 times, Metals Manufacturing and R&D – 400% greater than the US average
- 3.4 times, Transportation Equipment Manufacturing and R&D – 300% greater than the US average
- 1.5 times above the Illinois average in engineer employment – 50% greater than the US average
Majority of engineers are focused on R&D or sales
Leading Manufacturing Community
- 1st in aerospace manufacturing in Illinois
- 2nd in manufacturing employment in Illinois
- 2nd in “on & off” road vehicle manufacturing in Illinois
- 2nd in industrial machine manufacturing in Illinois
According to the results of the latest Northern Stateline Economy and Jobs Report, a study conducted by the Northern Illinois Workforce Alliance, the Rockford Area has a skilled and reliable workforce, drawing upon a household population of approximately 438,000 people in Boone, Winnebago and neighboring counties and totaling nearly 216,000 workers. Another 46,200 in the area can be classified as “underemployed” — people currently employed who would take a better job if offered by a new or existing employer and who possess the skills, experience, and education to qualify them to do so.
Skills of both the underemployed and employed fall largely in office operations, distribution, and manufacturing, with strong representation in healthcare, maintenance and installation, technician, quality assurance, and telecommunications as well.
A profile of existing workers was developed based upon interviews conducted with senior management and human resource professionals from industrial, commercial or service sector companies located within the area.
- 91% of the employers rated the productivity of the workforce as “Good” to “Excellent.”
- 91% of the employers rated worker reliability as “Good” to “Excellent”
- 88% of the employers rated worker attitude as “Good” to “Excellent.”